Development and Capture
Support for coastal fisheries development through strengthening of infrastructure and fishing technology and market access, formation of associations.
This Division is responsible for Rural Fisheries Development Program (RFDP) in all six provinces of Vanuatu dealing mainly with improving food security and livelihoods of people in the community. The Division plays an important role to ensure government services through the Fisheries Department are delivered to the rural communities through Provincial Fisheries Officers.
The core activities of the Division
- Rural Fisheries development & management support to rural communities, artisanal sector and to the game fishing industry, within the 12 nautical mile zone
- FAD’s construction, deployment & maintenance.
- Department’s extension services through
Fisheries Development Officers (FDOs);
- Seafood Markets (primary, secondary &
- Fisheries investment & economic growth;
Collect coastal fisheries & market data
on production from fishers logs and
- Progress/develop electronic data reporting
- Community-Based Fisheries Management (CBFM)